- “Authenticity is showing up with your best self. It’s leading from your mind and your heart.” [2:33] Marcel explains that leaders with authenticity show up with emotional honesty, excellence in everything they do, a great attitude, openness to receiving feedback, and self-awareness.
- “They Treat Themselves (and Others) as Human Beings: Great leaders display authenticity by making room daily for laughter and joy while accepting that they’re not perfect and that they make mistakes.” [3:45] Marcel highlights that leaders create a safe environment by admitting mistakes themselves AND making it safe for their teams to do the same.
- “They Approach Conflict by Looking at All Sides: Authentic leaders don’t assume and jump to conclusions. They look at difficult situations from several angles.” [4:20] Marcel explains that authentic leaders make educated decisions by getting clarity and multiple perspectives.
- “They Speak Their Truth: Being authentic means you don’t say things to sugarcoat, to try to please others or to try to look good in front of your peers.” [5:10] Authentic leaders have great reputations because as Marcel says, they speak clearly, honestly, and with integrity.
- “They Are Teachable: Another way of being authentic is to gladly accept the role of a learner.” [5:43] Marcel reminds listeners that good leaders are willing to ask questions and have a genuine interest in the answers.
- “They Listen to Understand: Authentic leaders listen to understand, which is a rare and forgotten leadership skill.” [6:12] Marcel shares that these leaders reflect back on their employees with a goal of connection and helping them succeed.
- “They Are Accessible: Authentic leaders are out in front of the organization sharing plans for the future, and being open and transparent even during hard times.” [7:10] Marcel explains here that authentic leaders are out in front, communicating.
- “They Promote Trust: In trustworthy organizations, people respond to leaders they can trust and are motivated to another stratosphere because they feel safe.” [7:37] The previous seven points from Marcel culminate with this ultimate leadership practice.
Mentioned in this episode:
Don’t Forget to Subscribe!
Are you loving this episode? Be sure to subscribe so you don’t miss any future episodes. Apple Podcast | Stitcher | Spotify | Google Podcast
What’s Your Reaction?
We really love feedback! Continue the conversation by using #LoveInActionPodcast to comment on this episode. Or send Marcel a note and let him know what you thought of this episode. Also, please click here to give us a quick review on iTunes!
Now Accepting Podcast Sponsors
As we challenge current management thinking and practices and build skills around human leadership and human-centered work cultures, we would be delighted to accept your sponsorship for future episodes. If interested, contact Marcel.