- “Emotional intelligence does its best work to get you promoted to the next level when the stakes are higher.” [1:57] Marcel Schwantes presents the research behind the importance of Emotional Intelligence.
- “To get a better understanding of where you measure up against the high bar of emotional intelligence, I will leave you today….with nine questions that Daniel Goleman, the foremost authority on emotional intelligence, has offered for your own self-assessment. Your only job is to answer with an honest ‘yes’ or ‘no.’” [3:20] Marcel shares the 9 questions you need to ask when it comes to assessing Emotional Intelligence.
- Are you usually aware of your feelings and why you feel that way?
- Are you aware of your limitations, as well as your personal strengths, as a leader?
- Can you manage your distressing emotions well — e.g., recover quickly when you get upset or stressed?
- Can you adapt smoothly to changing realities?
- Do you keep your focus on your main goals, and know the steps it takes to get there?
- Can you usually sense the feelings of the people you interact with and understand their way of seeing things?
- Do you have a knack for persuasion and using your influence effectively?
- Can you guide a negotiation to a satisfactory agreement, and help settle conflicts?
- Do you work well in a team setting?
- “As you think about improving your leadership for the rest of 2022, which of these questions can you confidently answer with a resounding “yes”? And which do you feel are a work in progress or an area for growth?” [5:40] Join Marcel on LinkedIn to continue the conversation!
Mentioned in this episode:
Don’t Forget to Subscribe!
Are you loving this episode? Be sure to subscribe so you don’t miss any future episodes. Apple Podcast | Stitcher | Spotify | Google Podcast
What’s Your Reaction?
We really love feedback! Continue the conversation by using #LoveInActionPodcast to comment on this episode. Or send Marcel a note and let him know what you thought of this episode. Also, please click here to give us a quick review on iTunes!
Now Accepting Podcast Sponsors
As we challenge current management thinking and practices and build skills around human leadership and human-centered work cultures, we would be delighted to accept your sponsorship for future episodes. If interested, contact Marcel.